Featured Post

400+ Miles for Breast Cancer Now

AKA Your husband is doing WHAT in the UK this summer?! For those of you who don't know why I'm going to the UK this summer with my...

Thursday, December 26, 2013

SIDENOTE: The Best Traveling Companion Ever!

Spring 2009

Erica was planning to move from our hometown of Louisville, KY to Moab, UT, to start her first adult job after college graduation.  I had previously helped move a friend cross-country years ago via the northern U.S. states and was itching for another cross-country trip, this time through the southern U.S. states.  Based on previous roadtrip experiences, I fully expected that Erica and I would hate each other somewhere around Arkansas and be plotting ways to leave each other stranded in the youth hostels, which could have easily been mistaken for meth houses. But I was willing to risk our familial bond for the chance at checking off a few more states on my "To Do" list.  Imagine my surprise when, after a week in her fully packed Honda Civic, we were closer than ever - literally and figuratively!  ;)  While on the road, when she would say, "Do you have to..."  "...go to the bathroom?" I would finish.  "Yes!" she would say.  Or if said, "Hey, are you..."  "...hungry?" she would ask.  "Starving!" I would reply.  

I was especially surprised at how well we got along during the trip considering how I had somewhat hijacked it before it ever began.  Erica had to report to her new job by a particular date in April of that year and had been planning to take a leisurely roadtrip out West.  I desperately wanted to go with her but due to my full-time job and the graduate class I was taking at the time, I could only get away for about five days.  I remember telling her over and over, very apologetically, that I really wanted to come but we'd have to make the trip in less than five days and I understood if she'd rather take someone else but please, please, please choose me because I'm more qualified than anyone else because I've already successfully completed one cross-country roadtrip!  She agreed that the dates I was available for weren't ideal but she was willing to... "Great," I said, "Here's the travel route we'll take.  The first night we'll stay with an old college roommate of mine in Arkansas, second night in a hotel in Amarillo, Texas that my friend who works at a Hilton will arrange, third night in a teepee on an organic farm in Colorado with another old college roommate, and the fourth night, eh, I'll let you handle that one, because it is your trip and I don't want to take over, ok?  Awesome!"  And away we went...

Here's us not killing each other,
quite a feat after four days in a Honda Civic!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Feel free to share this post.