Featured Post

400+ Miles for Breast Cancer Now

AKA Your husband is doing WHAT in the UK this summer?! For those of you who don't know why I'm going to the UK this summer with my...

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Rough Riders: Part Tvær

When good ponies go bad...

Who knew that three days after our epic friendship fest, my association with 'As the Icelandic horse-pony would land me in hot water with U.S. Customs.  Did you know that question number 12 on the U.S. Customs & Border Protection form asks if you have been in close proximity of (i.e. touching/handling) livestock?  I didn't either.  Unless the Customs officials have been reading my blog (unlikely, right? that's the NSA, isn't it?), they couldn't prove that I was in close proximity to livestock.  But still I saw no reason not to be honest with my government officials - my first mistake - so I naively checked the "yes" box and wrote "horse" next to where it said "livestock."    

I started to realize that I may have screwed up when I got shunted over to a line that was suspiciously longer than the line the rest of the passengers from my plane were in.  My suspicions were confirmed when I got an irritated-looking agent who started grilling me not about item # 12, but about item # 13, carrying currency or monetary instruments over $10,000 into the U.S.  Seriously?!!  Did he not know how to read the damn form I spent so much time filling out!?  The conversation went a little like this:

Evil Agent:  "You're bringing in currency or goods valued over $10,000?" 

Me:  "What?  No, I have a few souvenirs but they're not worth any more than $100.  I checked 'yes' to the livestock question because I rode a horse in Iceland."

E.A.:  <flipping the form around but being no less intimidating>  "You rode a horse?"

Me:  "Yes, in Iceland but just for two hours."

E.A.:  "Why were you traveling abroad?"

Me:  <feeling like we were back on safer ground>  "Just for leisure."

E.A.:  <intimidating stare>  "Leisure?"  

Me:  "Yes, my husband and I went to Scotland and England to celebrate our anniversary and then I flew to meet my sister in Iceland."

E.A.:  <looking around>  "Where's your husband?"

Me:  "He's at home in Columbia, SC."

E.A.:  <looking like he'd finally caught me red-handed>  "He's not with you?" 

Me:  "No, he flew home after England.  But he's going to pick me up from the airport later."  <I really hoped I wasn't dragging Mark into whatever sordid international incident this guy was trying to fabricate!>

E.A.:  "So your sister lives in Iceland?"

Me:  "No, she flew to meet me there and we traveled around together."

E.A.:  <exasperated>  "Where is your sister now?!"

Me:  "In Kentucky, where she lives.  She just arrived there.  We had separate flights since we were going to separate destinations."

E.A.:  <bending back down to my form and getting extra condescending>  "You say you bought a necklace that only cost $10?"

Me:  "Yes, it was just some beads from a craft store."

E.A.:  <finally getting to the point>  "Did someone give you goods to carry in your luggage?!"

Me:  "No, of course not!"

E.A.  <unrelenting>  "Do you understand the severity of what I'm asking you!?"

Me:  <getting desperate> "Yes, but all I did was ride a horse in Iceland!  It was just two hours!"

E.A.:  <grudgingly>  "All right, you can go."

Thank goodness because he was so determined that I was starting to think that maybe I was guilty of something!  :P  From now on, I will have to think twice about hanging out with strange foreign ponies...




1 comment:

  1. I saw #12 on my form and was like "nopenopenopenope!" despite spending the better part of a day romping through sheep shit and pushing cows off the trail during the Cliff Top. Momma didn't raise no fool!

    Well, she did, but it wasn't me... :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Feel free to share this post.