Featured Post

400+ Miles for Breast Cancer Now

AKA Your husband is doing WHAT in the UK this summer?! For those of you who don't know why I'm going to the UK this summer with my...

Monday, January 18, 2016

Worst Travel Agent Ever?

Is it wrong to wish that the U.K. had fewer amazing things to see and do?  With approximately seven days in between when we see Mark off at Snowdon in Wales and meeting him again at Ben Nevis in Scotland, the choices are wide open but we can't do everything.  Should we rent a car and take ferries back and forth across the Irish Sea or maybe bus it or a puddle jump across?  Should we camp or do hostels?  

It suddenly dawned on me that maybe I should pick our travel destinations before deciding how to get there.  Yep, it's revolutionary ideas like that that have cemented my status as family trip planner.  Hmm, so what amazing things have I always wanted to do in Ireland?  Follow the family tradition of kissing the Blarney Stone and - bonus! - get to visit the old ancestral lands of Cork, where I've been told that everyone looks exactly like me.  (Seriously, my friend and professional Irish tourist Jonelle swears that she almost got whiplash doing double takes at all of the Marti doppelgangers there.)  Ooh, and let's not forget the Giant's Causeway in Ulster!  Ok, this is starting to come together!  Except that those two things are at opposite ends of the country...  Great, back to square one.  But wait, I'm not the only one going on this pilgrimage!  I'll just ask my mini travel companion to weigh in on his preferences, which went something like this:

Me:  "Ok, buddy, I'm trying to plan what we're going to do on our trip.  What would you like to do in Ireland?"

Eamon:  "Uhhhhhh..."

Me:  "Ok, what do you think about going to Blarney Castle and kissing the Blarney Stone like Grandpa John and Aunt Erica?  I mean, you have dangle backwards and upside down over the castle battlements but I'm sure it's totally safe."



Eamon:  "Uhhhhhh..."

Me:  "Or there's the Giant's Causeway!  These awesome basalt columns in the sea that were supposedly put there by giants..."



Eamon:  "Uhhhhhh..."

Me:  "What do you think?  Have you heard of anything in Ireland that you'd like to do?"

Eamon:  "Well, we did study Irish food in school... let me look it up on the internet and show you."

Me:  "Ok, great!"

Eamon:  [googling "Ireland + dessert"]

Me:  "Ummmm..."

Eamon:  <triumphantly> "See?!  That!"

Me:  "Do you mean the scoops of ice cream in a bowl?"

Eamon:  "Yes! <studying the website intently> It says it's at a place called Murphy's Ice Cream... and there's one in Dublin!  We're going to Dublin, right?"

Me:  "Sooo, what you're telling me is that out of the whole country of Ireland, with all of its castles and amazing natural rock formations and everything else, you choose ice cream?"

Eamon: <matter-of-factly>  "Well, yeah." 


So worst travel agent ever?  Or best?  I mean, I can't really fault the boy for choosing ice cream.  It is kind of genetic.  

What would you choose?  Seriously, I need your help with the trip planning because my little travel buddy is obviously just in it for the food!  Leave your trip suggestions in the comments section please! :) 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Feel free to share this post.