Featured Post

400+ Miles for Breast Cancer Now

AKA Your husband is doing WHAT in the UK this summer?! For those of you who don't know why I'm going to the UK this summer with my...

Sunday, May 18, 2014

Sticky Business

May 18, 2014

Now that we've worked out our lodging in Icleand, reserving a rental car is our next big challenge.  That's been left up to Erica thus far as I've been afraid to look at the prices.  She tells me that renting a stick shift seems to be the cheaper option, which is problematic for her because she only knows how to drive automatics.  "No problem," I told her.  "I'm ok with doing all of the driving if that means we pay less!  And then you can be my navigator."  Problem solved.  I thought.  And then I got this reply in my email:  "Or I could learn how to drive a stick in Iceland."

Yes, because learning to drive a car with a manual transmission in a foreign country, in which we have limited time and don't understand the language or road signs, would be less stressful than any of the times I've offered to teach her over the past fifteen years.  And did I mention that Iceland has one of the highest traffic mortality rates of Western Europe?  Yes, that's where I want an inexperienced stick shift driver to practice their new skills, while I sit helplessly in the passenger seat clutching the arm rest and praying that the elves who will drag our limp bodies from the wreckage will know CPR.  *deep breath*  Did I mention that I'm a tiny bit of a control freak when it comes to driving?   :)





Um, I'm sorry but this chick should not be smiling.  
Learning to drive stick should involve a lot of screaming, grinding metal, and tears, just as God intended! ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Feel free to share this post.