Featured Post

400+ Miles for Breast Cancer Now

AKA Your husband is doing WHAT in the UK this summer?! For those of you who don't know why I'm going to the UK this summer with my...

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Cooked Food is a Luxury

One that we can't afford apparently!  Today's blog post poses the question:
How important is camping equipment? I mean really!? 

Once Erica and I decided that we'd be camping in Iceland instead of hoteling or hosteling it, and purchased a campground pass, we relaxed, secure in the knowledge that we'd be saving tons of krona; krona that could be used to buy awesome souvenirs like rotten shark meat or Icelandic booze.  We had the tent and the sleeping bags covered.  What more did we need?  Oh, yes, a method of ensuring that we had warm, non-raw food to eat for our week of camping in the just-above freezing temperatures.  Sadly, my trusty camp stove from my college days seemed to have given up the ghost last summer, as evidenced by it bursting into flames not once but twice inside a seedy Delaware motel.  (Yes, I said inside; don't judge me!)  And even if it hadn't self-immolated, there was no way to transport its fuel on the plane or guarantee that that type of stove fuel was sold in Iceland.

Camp stove rental seemed to be the way to go.  My Lonely Planet Iceland assured me that I could rent camping equipment at goiceland.com.  What it did not tell me was that goiceland.com is run by some krona-pinching krona-grubbers!  Who knew that a 4 person tent would be less expensive to rent than a 2 burner stove!?  Apparently these people at goiceland.com have deduced that most humans like to ingest non-cold food stuffs and that they will pay dearly for the privilege.  Damn them and their powers of deductive reasoning!  Luckily for us, reykjavikbackpackers.is seems to be run by philanthropists who do not begrudge poor weary travelers a hot meal and only charge 1/3 of the price for camp stove rental.  Huzzah!  It looks like Erica and I will be able to sterilize our rotten shark meat after all!

Just say no!  
Unless it's from reykjavikbackpackers.is



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Feel free to share this post.